Welcome Wildwood STARS
- October 17: Walk to school Day
- October 18: Early release day, 1:20 dismissal for parent conferences
- October 19, 20: Early release day, Noon dismissal for parent conferences
- October 25: Photo Day
- December 13: Wildwood Winter Chorus Concert at 7:00PM
Important Links / Hiperenlaces importantes
Welcome Kindergarten and new families to the Wildwood PGO blog! This is where you will get all your news about what’s going on at the Wildwood PGO. We apologize for the delay in setting up email subscriptions to the blog for the new families.
The Wildwood Parent Guardian Organization (PGO) is comprised of volunteers who donate their time and talent to enrich the school. Our mission is to build a strong community, and support enrichment and equity for all children at Wildwood. We support teachers and staff so they can provide the best elementary school experience for all students. We also stage a variety of fun events, both child and adult-focused, throughout the year. Supporting and helping at these events is a great way to become more involved in the school, meet other parents and keep up to date with the Wildwood community. Your contribution, whether it is time, knowledge, or resources make a big difference. Thank you for helping in any way you can, and showing your children the importance you place on their education!
We encourage you to send us tidbits to share with our community, be it school news, teacher wishlist requests, PGO or school event information as well as community events you think our WW families will enjoy. We can be reached at email@example.com.
The Amherst Regional Public Schools Parent Guardian Organization (ARPS PGO) is a Registered 501c3 Massachusetts Charity encompassing the individual PGOs of the Amherst Regional High and Middle Schools, Crocker Farm and Wildwood Elementary.
Our mission is to support the education of children within our schools through fundraising, supplemental programming and volunteer efforts. We help build community by fostering relationships among the schools, parents, teachers and staff.
All are invited to attend the ARPS PGO Fall Public Meeting
October 19, 2017 -3:15 PM at the Works
- Voting on Officers for the 2017-2018 School Year
- Individual School Updates
- Taxes and State Filings
- Group Fundraisers
- Snack Pantry
- UMACC (United Way)
- Giving Tuesday
- Florence Bank
- Amazon Smile
- Other Business not anticipated by the chair
All Wildwood families are invited to learn about how everyone can be involved in the PGO and to find out all of the ways that the PGO supports our school. Each PGO meeting will feature a presentation/discussion with Principal Nick.
Details about the October 3rd meeting will be forthcoming.
The Amherst Block Party date was changed to the evening of October 4th which is the same day and time as our Curriculum Night. Since the annual Block Party has become such a fun event for our families, we are changing our Curriculum Night to Wednesday, September 27th from 6-8 pm. A detailed schedule will be sent out soon. We will also move our first PGO informational meeting to early October so we do not have two school events during the same week.
The Wildwood PGO would like to welcome families with children entering kindergarten. This is a great opportunity to meet other kindergarten families.
Who: All Parents of Kindergarteners
What: Coffee, Bagels, and Good Conversation
When: 8:30 – 9:30 Tuesday, September 5th, 2017
Where: Wildwood Elementary Playground
Doing any online shopping through Amazon this weekend or any other time of year? Did you know you can earn money for the Wildwood with each Amazon purchase. Enroll in passive fundraising to earn money for Wildwood while you shop!
Go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/46-4510327 for your Amazon shopping and Wildwood will earn 0.5% of your purchases.
To select Wildwood as your permanent charity, go to smile.amazon.com. Click Your Account -> Your Amazon Smile -> Change Charity button. Search for “Amherst Amherst Regional Public Schools Parent Guardian Organization” -> Click Select.
ARPS PGO Spring Public Meeting
June 19th at 12:45 PM
Crocker Farm Elementary School
Individual School Updates
Taxes and State Filings
-VFW Pancake Breakfast
-UMACC (United Way)
Other Business not anticipated by the chair
Perform at the Multicultural Fair. It’s a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Well not really, but it would be fun and memorable.
The Wildwood Multicultural Fair is looking for school community members willing to showcase their talents while sharing their cultural heritage. Are you or your child interested in performing for our community event? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’ve volunteered to donate food, items can be dropped off on June 1st before 7:45am (or on the 31st as long as items are labeled and placed in the staff refrigerator). Nonperishable items labeled “Staff Breakfast” can be dropped off anytime in the office. Still in need of donations for Staff Breakfast (click here to view remaining needs).
Thanks in advance to all who are able to pitch in.
Thanks to those who attended Wednesday’s PGO meeting, and a very special thanks to those parents stepping up into PGO leadership. As Dr. Morris expressed in his weekly newsletter, “You do amazing work on behalf of our students and your support means so much to the all of our faculty, staff and administrators.”
Co-Chairs: Kerry Crosby and Sheilah Jones
Treasurer: Toni Cunningham
Volunteer Coordinator: Becky Miller
Fundraising Coordinator: Irene Dujovne
Secretary: Lisa Berry
Blog Communications: Anita Rao
Yearbook: Susan Wells and Jenny Haugsjaahabink
School Directory: Susan Wells and Jenny Haugsjaahabink
Class Parent Liason: Becky Gahan
Come learn about Project Based Learning at the next Wildwood PGO Meeting
Tuesday, May 24, 2017 6:00pm-7:30pm
- 6pm PGO meeting in the Library – Hear about open PGO positions for next year. We need You!
- 6:30pm Nick will present on the implementation of Project Based Learning in Grades K-6 and the impact it will have on your children. Come find out about this exciting journey into hands-on, problem-based, in-depth learning.
- 7-7:30pm Meet & Greet
View Flyer in English
View Flyer in Spanish
The PGO has a few vacancies for next school year. Please consider stepping up!
The following four positions will become open: Chair, Secretary, Volunteer Coordinator and Fundraising Coordinator.
If interested, please contact us at email@example.com.
Back by popular demand, the Amherst Regional Middle School PGO has reopened their online Amherst merchandise store – for two weeks only! In addition to popular items from the fall, we’ve added new items for spring and summer, including tank tops, shorts, windbreakers and new hats. All shirts, sweatshirts, tank tops, and shorts are available in youth sizes as well as adult. Please see the attached flyer for photos of all the available items and ordering information. The deadline for orders is Sunday, May 14.
On April 26, the UMass Science Outreach Club presented “States of Matter,” for Wildwood’s K-2 Science Night! Go-UMASS! Thank You!
We welcome all talents and abilities! To learn more about fun, unique and exciting volunteer opportunities at Wildwood, visit our Volunteering and Contributing
CORI Background Check: If school or PGO volunteer opportunities bring you into contact with students at Wildwood ES or on a field trip, you must have a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) check on file. This includes all field trip chaperones and classroom volunteers (e.g. grandparents, aunts & uncles, adult siblings). CORI checks must be done on individual volunteers every three years and are valid for all schools within our district. If you would like to check to see if you are current on your CORI status, please call Sasha in the Central Office at 362-1810.
To request a CORI check, bring your current driver’s license into the Main Office at Wildwood or to the district’s Central Office (located at the middle school) for photocopying and complete the required application well in advance of any volunteer obligations. Questions about the CORI process can be directed to the Wildwood Main Office or Sasha in the Central Office.
The 4th annual Valley Gives Day is just a month away! This is a 24-hour online giving day that allows people throughout the Pioneer Valley and beyond to support hundreds of local nonprofits.
This year, ARHS/ARMS Athletics (Hurricane Boosters) is participating for the first time, as well as ARHS PGO and Wildwood PGO. Organizations are eligible for incentive prizes based on the number of donors – no matter how big or small the gifts – so save the date, spread the word, and help our organizations raise thousands of dollars to benefit our students and schools.
Save the Date: Wildwood K-2 Science Night on April 26!
The UMass Science Outreach Club will present “States of Matter,” brought to you by the Wildwood PGO.
5:45-6:00 p.m. Pizza in Wildwood Cafeteria
6:00-7:00 p.m. Show in Wildwood Gymnasium
Read the latest Wildwood Wire here: Wildwood Wire 4-1-17.pdf learn about upcoming events and other news at our school.
Wildwood Elementary School Presents a Title 1 and PGO sponsored school-wide math event.
Thursday, April 6, 2017
“Play and Take” Math Games
Pizza dinner in the cafeteria: 5:45-6:15
Math games in rooms around school: 6:15-7:15
Grand prize raffle in the cafeteria: 7:15-7:30
*Buses will pick up at entrance (and drop off after the event):
Boulders @ 5:15, North Village @ 5:25, Village Park @ 5:35, Olympia Oaks @ 5:40
Please RSVP for the event.
View English Flyer
View Spanish Flyer
At this year’s Math Night, dinner will be served in the cafeterias from 5:45-6:15pm.
Can you help? Bring a dish to share. Help set-up dinner. Help cleanup the cafeteria.
Print and return this form WW Math Night or sign-up online at: SignUp Genius
Watch our Drop Everything and READ (DEAR) time at our Dr. Seuss Read Across America assembly on Tuesday:
We are pleased to announce our WW PGO sponsored author visit for grades K,1,2 on READ ACROSS AMERICA DAY – March 7th, 2017. Corinne Demas and Artemis Roehrig will visit with us in the afternoon.
Meet the Candidates for School Committee at the next Wildwood PGO Meeting
Date: Wednesday, Mar 1st, 2017
Location: Wildwood Library
- 6:00pm – Meet other parents, hear about what the PGO has been doing and learn about ways to take part.
- 6.30pm – Candidates for Amherst School Committee, Peter Demling, Bob Greeney, Eric Nakajima and Jennifer Page will introduce themselves to the Wildwood community and answer your questions, in preparation for the town-wide election on March 28th.
- 7-7.30pm – Meet & Greet
Mark your calendars for this free family event, sponsored by the ARMS PGO and the Principal’s office. We will be hosting a screening of the film
“Screenagers: Growing up in the Digital Age” on Wednesday, February 8, from 6:30-8:30 pm in the ARMS auditorium.
Admission is free and open to all ARMS families. We will also be selling raffle tickets for a chance to win a Screen-free Family Fun basket. We strongly encourage you to attend with your children. To learn more about the film and watch a trailer, please visit www.screenagersmovie.com
Slides from the from PGO Meeting 1/18/17
What does PGO money fund?
- “Nick’s Fund” – $4,000 earmarked for use at Nick’s discretion, to support teachers and kids. $1,744 spent so far.
- Staff Stipends – $50 to each teacher in October.
- Staff Mini-Grants – $250 to para-educator to coach for 5th & 6th Grade chorus concert. $750 remaining for other applicants.
- Visiting Artists – $700 allocated for author to work with K-2
- Art Supplies – $500 to art teacher for clay and other supplies
- Community Building Events – $492 on food/drinks for New Family Welcome, staff breakfast, kindergarten coffee & PGO meetings
- Staff Appreciation – $194 spent so far
- Movie Night – Cost $118
- Community Needs – $100 for families in need on Thanksgiving
- Childcare at Meetings – $76 so far
PGO Budget—Latest news
- Giving Tuesday/Brown Envelope Fundraiser was hugely successful! Brown Envelope raised $2,989, online giving was $1,377. More than twice our goal. Thank You to all our generous donors!
- School Photos raised $1,847
- Core team met with Principal Nick & Joyce Gooden to discuss Budget:
- Reduced projected shortfall to an acceptable $5665
- PGO has agreed to grant Susan Wells $700 for a Visiting Author to work with K-2. Grades 3-6 had Molly Burnham come last week, paid for by a grant secured by Susan.
- $750 still available for teacher Mini-Grants. PGO will invite applications shortly.
- 6th grade team to consider fundraising for CT Science Center field trip. Trip cost will be on sign-up form so parents can give >$15, if desired. PGO will cover the balance.
- All field trip contributions will go to Joyce and not the PGO per District guidelines.
- Joyce secured funds for Black History Month events so will not need PGO money.
- PGO will make a significant contribution to the “Wildwood Principal’s Gift Fund” in lieu of earmarking a portion of the PGO money for Nick’s use.
Upcoming Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- New Family Welcome Packet – Printing/compiling folders
- Black History Month (Feb) – help with organization
- Math Night (3/23) – assist Elizabeth Pretel with organization
- Literacy Night (TBA) – work with literacy specialists to organize
- Valley Gives Day/Brown Envelope (5/3) – advance publicity for “Valley Gives” Brown Envelope/Online giving event in the spring
- Multicultural Fair (5/18) – Co-organizer and many helpers
Class Parents Network
- Building Community within the Classroom/Grade
- Creating a Volunteer Network
- Break into two groups and Brainstorm