Inspire a love of art and reading through picture books at The Eric Carle Museum. In addition to underscoring the cultural, historical, and artistic significance of picture books and their art form, The Carle offers educational programs that provide a foundation for arts integration and literacy. For more info, visit: http://www.carlemuseum.org
- Harriet the Spy Turns Fifty (through November 30, 2014)
- Eric Carle: Re-Imaged and Re-Imagined (through March 22, 2015)
- Northampton Community Music Center Family Concert Series: The Whirlygigs, October 4, 2014, 11:00am , $8 Adults / $6 Youth (cash or check only; Museum Admission extra). A wondrous one-man band, stomping out rustic beats with his foot-powered drum kit whilst blowin’ the harp, strummin’ the guitar (or banjo or ukulele) and singin’ songs that’ll make you get up and dance, or fall over laughing.
- Every Day Art Program: Perfect Pets, October 8 – November 15, 2014, All day, Free with Museum Admission. Make a collage of your family’s pet – or the pet you wish you had – with an array of cut paper shapes inspired by Eric Carle’s many animal collages.
- Special Storytime: Lisa Brown, October 11, 2014, 2:00pm, Free with Museum Admission. New York Times-bestselling illustrator Lisa Brown as she reads from her new book Emily’s Blue Period, by Cathleen Daly.
- Bonnie Duncan presents Squirrel Stole My Underpants: A Poignantly Silly Adventure Tale for Families, October 11, 2014, 11:00am and 1:00pm, $5 (Members $4.50). A lonely, awkward girl is sent out to the backyard. The moment her back is turned, a mischievous squirrel appears, steals her favorite piece of clothing and runs off. When the girl gives chase, she finds herself lost in strange lands. As the story unfolds, Sylvie learns that she is a strong girl with magic within herself.
- The PuppeTree presents The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, October 25, 2014, 1:00pm and 3:00pm , $7.00 (Members $6.50)
- The Family Collage Workshop, October 26, 2014, 11:00am – 1:00pm, $25 per pair or trio (Ages 6 and up with an adult; up to 2 children per adult). Be a collage artist like Eric Carle for the day and use your imagination with a variety of cutting and gluing projects for the whole family!